Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Project- Jeep in a box
02-24-2011, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2011, 05:42 PM by Kurt.)
Project- Jeep in a box
Well I have been moving and shuffling parts around for the last year like a beautifully orchestrated chess game to send my Adolecent YJ into Manhood.
Sitting in storage I happened to have the diffs that I rebuilt completely a few years back for a project that didn't happen and it was killin me to look at them all alone like. As was the engine,tranny and t-case, so a large part of the plan was there I just didn't know it yet.
That's where TNT came in. After talking with a few guys and going on a few runs the little hamster started working overtime and well the rest is to follow.
The plan: get rid of all stock suspension and drive train.
Replace d30 with D60 with ARB air locker and 4.56 gears. High steer with hydro assist. Switch D35 with 14 bolt w/detroit, 4.56 gears, and disc brake kit. Change out factory front shock mounts with BTF hoop kit. Change out YJ springs with XJ on all 4 corners. Stretch from 96" to 108-109". Factory fenders with Genright Hi-cut 6" tube fenders. Change 4.2L with 350 TBI, AX 15 with SM465, NP231 with NP205 with twin stick from AA. And last but not least 35/13.5/15 with 44/19.5/15 Boggers.

As this was my daily driver I had to replace it. I found a great YJ in Edmonton with tons of improvements and for the first time i was getting the good deal instead of giving it away. Solved
The next issue is I have is no shop, so for this plan to work I picked up kits from BTF, genright and AA to help speed up the process as taking an extended period of time is not an option.
Once I got the ducks in a row a buddy(damn good guy) said "Hey use my shop", 32x50 with all the ammenities. So when he went to Edmonton for the weekend I moved in!! Solved
So heres what is done so far:

Before

Picture at ACE 2010
[img][Image: DSCN4235rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4666rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4671rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4672rsz.jpg][/img]

A glimpse of Bills shop

[img][Image: DSCN4673rsz.jpg][/img]

Blue torch Fab Front width kit, rear stretch kit and Advance Adapters 350 motor mount

[img][Image: DSCN4676rsz.jpg][/img]

BTF front shock hoop kit

[img][Image: DSCN4677rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4676rsz.jpg][/img]

Genright Hi cut 6" tube fender

[img][Image: DSCN4678rsz.jpg][/img]

BTF 14 Bolt bolt up disc brake plates

[img][Image: DSCN4681rsz.jpg][/img]

Well that was day 1
Well for day 2 the plan was to pull engine,tranny t-case and rear diff.

[img][Image: DSCN4684rsz.jpg][/img]

It went well with my son Noah and brother Sean helping out

[img][Image: DSCN4688rsz.jpg][/img]

The stock diffs

[img][Image: DSCN4689rsz.jpg][/img]

The rear frame prior to cutting off cab mounts for stretch kit

[img][Image: DSCN4692rsz.jpg][/img]

That was day 2 and all is well. Tomorrow planning on Cleaning up frame and prepping for mock up of spring mounts and engine mounts and bringing over new diffs.
Day 3 ran into town to pick some crap up and headed to the shop.
One of those days where you cut and grind all day but doesn't seem like anything got done.

Front frame original

[img][Image: DSCN4693rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4694rsz.jpg][/img]

Front frame after a little work, note that the shock towers are trimmed only and not cut off as the AA motor mount uses the hole to bolt on.

[img][Image: DSCN4705rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4706rsz.jpg][/img]

Jeepdog came over and damned if I didn't hand him a grinder

[img][Image: DSCN4699rsz.jpg][/img]

The excess lipstick that was on it I should of called it Mimi

[img][Image: DSCN4700rsz.jpg][/img]

The rear frame after trimming off cab mounts

[img][Image: DSCN4703rsz.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4702rsz.jpg][/img]

The new diffs, a wee bit beefier

[img][Image: DSCN4708rsz.jpg][/img]

And I don't know anyone who hasn't rolled the new rubber up to their rig just to see what it will look like.

[img][Image: DSCN4710rsz.jpg][/img]

well that was day three. Did some final wire wheeling and measuring to extend the front frame as XJ leaves are longer than YJ and will run in tomorrow and grab da metal.

Next find a set of springs to mock up spring perches and tack into place.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2011, 06:11 PM,
RE: Project- Jeep in a box
looking good kurt
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM,
Damn you're fast Kurt! Looking good!
Pirateflag
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM by OBWHON.)
Awsome Kurt. I remember that yj from ACE and it looked good then. BUT NOW Dmonkey Looks like you are having funMonkeydance-1 Nice project and looking forward to seeing it in action in a month or so jaw-dropping
95 Suzuki Sidekick, 4" lift on 32"s. Spooled Rear. Superwinch. Choose a road wisely!! Wide the road that leads to destruction and many will choose it. Narrow the road that leads to life, but few will find it. Math.7:13-14
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM,
AWESOME JOB Kurt!

See you Saturday I'm stoked to be helping with the welding
PITBULL TIRES: http://pitbulltires.com/

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM,
Sweet build Kurt DmonkeyDmonkey

Don't forget to take pics when the LT sticker gets swapped for the Orange oneCool

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
02-24-2011, 08:24 PM,
Holy crap, thats awesome. 100% pure awesome.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
Eleanor "Roosevelt"
RR
`______
/l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

02-24-2011, 10:18 PM,
Last night stopped by Corey's and he flashed up the plasma and ripped off a couple new extended plates 6" longer than the kits for the front bumper.

[img][Image: DSCN4717.jpg][/img]

Did a little work on it today. Swung into town and borrowed a couple leaf packs of Lil XJ(Thanks) for mock up purposes and have a couple new sets ordered.
Used a piece of 4x6x 1/4" cut 331/4" long for the front extension.

[Image: DSCN4718.jpg]

[img][Image: DSCN4721.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4720.jpg][/img]

The back perches for the front springs

[img][Image: DSCN4722.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4724.jpg][/img]

The rear tacked in place

[img][Image: DSCN4727.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4728.jpg][/img]

And the Advanced Adapters engine mount. So sweet and simple

[img][Image: DSCN4730.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4729.jpg][/img]

That is it for tonight, tomorrow I hope to get at the rear disc conversion and final clean up on diffs so diffs could possibly be in on Sat.
02-26-2011, 12:51 AM,
Well had to work most of the day but managed to get a littlle progress done. Goal was to clean up the 14 Bolt of any excess brackets, remove drums and install disc brake kit.

[img][Image: DSCN4735.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4732.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4733.jpg][/img]

Had to seperate the new rotors from the hubs. They are for a 1978 K20 4x4. And seperate the drums from the 14 B hubs.

[img][Image: DSCN4736.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4737.jpg][/img]

Then using the exsisting studs as they were new put the rotors on the hub.

[img][Image: DSCN4739.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4740.jpg][/img]

Then bolted the BTF brackets on the diff at about 1 oclock to keep the calipers up high. Put the hubs back on and the axle back in.

[img][Image: DSCN4743.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4748.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4745.jpg][/img]

Looking close you may say hey the brakes won't work very well with out pads, Forgot them in the shed at home.

Also there are no nuts on the backside of the brackets, kit didn't come with them so if your planning on getting this kit keep it in mind. Will pick some up tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game plan is to weld out the frame parts and have the diffs spotted in place. Clean off the 60 of excess parts to get it ready for high steer. Hopefully work will be kind.

02-26-2011, 01:30 AM,
Wholey Moley you work fast. This should be called "how to build a 1ton YJ in a weekend".Dmonkey

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
02-26-2011, 11:39 AM,
Got motivation? Awesome job.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
Eleanor "Roosevelt"
RR
`______
/l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

02-26-2011, 09:13 PM,
Day 6, work went well so cut out early and headed to the shop.
Had to make a quick stop at the local merchantile to pick up some low cal suds for a large imitation of Inspector Clouseau to get him to lay some beads. Thanks again Corey.

[img][Image: DSCN4753.jpg][/img]

The front finished up with the engine mount bolted in.

[img][Image: DSCN4760.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4759.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4758.jpg][/img]

New springs look great.
Only got one set of springs from Bradvin but others will be in Tues. morn along with U-bolts. Gonna have them put in an extra leaf in this set to help level the front out a bit.

[img][Image: DSCN4755.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4757.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4761.jpg][/img]

Everything lining up great. Just need to get those springs and u-bolts.
Installed a new master brake cylinder (for a 1978 Mercury Marquis) that I got from Pats. Only 28 bucks.

[img][Image: DSCN4751.jpg][/img]

That was today. Tomorrow planning on bringing over engine, tranny and t-case. And wait for parts mon and tues. New power steering gear box should be coming in on Mon. Got one for a 1994 Chevy Astro van RWD which will bolt right in and it has reverse rotation pitman arm. It faces forward allowing you to move the axle forward without hitting the pitman arm.
Great day swapping yarns with a friend and workin on the rig.
Great day!!
02-27-2011, 01:18 AM,
looking good kurt
02-27-2011, 09:57 AM,
All I can say is WOW!
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
02-27-2011, 11:03 PM,
Day 7. Long day. The goal was to bring engine over to the shop. Sounds simple. Only my theory is if you want to store a engine,tranny and t-case it's better to leave it in the vehicle instead of in the elements for an undetermined length of time. Sooooo, fire up the tractor, plow some snow, pull the chassis out in the open(-22c and north wind), remove body mounts, steering, brake lines etc(-22c and North wind) and lift off cab and front fenders. Pull motor and tcase mounts(-22C and north wind) and simply lift the works up and on the truck. Easy peasy. Well it's at the shop and thawing out.

[img][Image: DSCN4762.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4763.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4764.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4765.jpg][/img]

[/color]
Tomorrows plan is final clean up on frame and paint. Order some misc parts like TBI wiring harness which I am leaning towards the Howell efi kit instead of Painless. Any body have any input would be appreciated. I do have the painless chassis wiring harness still in the box from day's gone by.
Well enough for today gonna head home, have a warm shower and hit the sack.
02-28-2011, 01:35 AM,
I'm glad I got my engine pulled yesterday. Pretty much cut the front of the frame off and took the whole thing into the shop to unbolt the engine from the mounts. (pickers are awesome)Dmonkey

Spent all day clearing snow, yes it was freeking cold, I feel for ya pulling wrenches dude.

Dmonkey

02-28-2011, 01:40 AM,
Thats about the same drive train I have on my Jimmy aside from the axles I'm still using the corperate 10 bolt 8.5". They are super easy to wire in, I just swapped wiring harnesses when I did it with my donor truck, the electrical is pretty easy on these things as long as you have the ecm.
Daily Driver 1990 Chevrolet Full Size Blazer on 33' Baja Claws.
Trail rig '84 GMC Jimmy 350 TBI, SM465, NP205, Corperate 10 bolt 30 spline axles, Strange Spool in the back (and soon front), 6' Lift, Sitting on 38.5 Ground Hawgs.
02-28-2011, 07:28 AM,
So you are saying it was cold when you pulled the engine???

LOL

Good job Kurt, amazing pace - keep it up
PITBULL TIRES: http://pitbulltires.com/

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

02-28-2011, 09:21 PM,
Day 8, mostly leg work and ordering parts. Steering box was wrong but right one should be in in the morning, along with the other set of springs with an extra leaf, unbolts, shackle bushings, etc. Did manage to throw a coat of primer and paint on her though but didn't have camera. Looking forward to setting the diffs under it.
Later
03-01-2011, 08:19 PM,
Day 9, a long day of callouts and going to town for parts then callouts, etc... Took a couple of pics of the painted frame. Yes I did miss a spot on pass. side shackle but it is all good now. Front leaf springs came in and grabbed an extra leaf for each. Pulled apart and cut leaf to length. Added straps and voila. Left leaf primer colored for illustration purposes. Still waiting on shackle bushing which never came in today but hopefully tomorrow.

[img][Image: DSCN4772.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4775.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4777.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4770.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4767.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4769.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4768.jpg][/img]

Picked up new steering gear box and set in place. It uses the bottom two bolts and the one top one as you can see. Once again it was out of a 1994 Astro Van RWD. The first one that came was for the AWD and bolt pattern is totally different.

[img][Image: DSCN4778.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: DSCN4774.jpg][/img]

Just have to drill and tap the gear box for hydro assist then will bolt it in for good.

Have to do family night volley ball tonight so if shackles come in front diff will be in tomorrow. Also ordered Howellefi TBI harness.
Later