Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire Thread!!!
03-01-2014, 09:16 AM,
Tire Thread!!!
Lets talk rubber guys!!

Any tire you've had experience with good or bad. Also maybe just for a point of reference what kind of vehicle you were running them on.

My hope is that this thread will help anyone shelling out hard earned pesos for new tires get the best bang for their buck.
BEAT IT LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM,
RE: Tire Thread!!!
I've never met a tire I didn't like... Wink BFG AT/MT, MTZ, IROK, SSR, Duratrac, Pro Comp MT, FC II, geolanders, Michelin, trail grappler...

The only bad thing I can say is a "P" tire like what came on my new Chevy 1/2 ton only belongs on the pavement as they "rock punch" too easy and have soft sidewalls but I got the best fuel economy on them...

Add weight, horsepower and/or speed in any combo, tire life goes down hill faster then me thru an all you can eat buffet. Big Grin

Overall experience, knobby and big for off road. No so knobby and big on road... Smile
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
03-01-2014, 04:26 PM,
Currently running nitto trail grappler 33" and love them. Good on road and incredible off road. Great looking tire as well. Not tooo noisy on pavement and they prove their toughness on the sharp rock of caw ridge last year. 20 000 klix on it and are halfway on tread.

Only down is thick sticky mud. I got stuck last summer because they became loaded with mud and I ended up with slick tire lol. But I don't think any tire are sticky mud proof. Bigger tread might help but will reduce the on road performance.

Plan on buying another set when those are done.
03-01-2014, 04:29 PM,
Ohh yeah

2013 jku 2.5 lift
03-01-2014, 09:07 PM,
I get stuck no matter what tire I run.

Tires suck.

They also get cut when abusing them in rock gardens.

I have many tires. They cost me many dollars.

That being said,........I have a tire fetish. I just bought a new set of 36" Irocs for the LJ. Just need the time to mount them. (not in that kind of way you weirdo's)

Out of all the tires I've ran, including Boggers, Swampers, BFGs, Rockers, Trxus', Toyo's, and lots in between, the "street" tires for my LJ have surprised me the most. They have been all over Grande Cache with no bead locks, no chipping, no flats, and no problem.

If anyone can guess what they are, I have a prize for you.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
03-01-2014, 09:22 PM,
(03-01-2014, 04:26 PM)Fenxx Wrote: Currently running nitto trail grappler 33" and love them. Good on road and incredible off road. Great looking tire as well. Not tooo noisy on pavement and they prove their toughness on the sharp rock of caw ridge last year. 20 000 klix on it and are halfway on tread.

Only down is thick sticky mud. I got stuck last summer because they became loaded with mud and I ended up with slick tire lol. But I don't think any tire are sticky mud proof. Bigger tread might help but will reduce the on road performance.

I agree!! Nitto's rock!! Extremely well made tires. I had Mud grapplers on my 08 super-duty. Loud as hell, but they lasted almost 80,000km. Never had one flat. Ran them until bald and one is still sitting out in my back 40 with air in it still after 4 years. My only gripe was they were pricey. But get what you pay for I guess???

Mrgreen
03-01-2014, 09:25 PM,
My guess is the pro comps you use
2015 rubicon 
03-01-2014, 09:26 PM,
(03-01-2014, 09:22 PM)scrudeman Wrote:
(03-01-2014, 04:26 PM)Fenxx Wrote: Currently running nitto trail grappler 33" and love them. Good on road and incredible off road. Great looking tire as well. Not tooo noisy on pavement and they prove their toughness on the sharp rock of caw ridge last year. 20 000 klix on it and are halfway on tread.

I agree!! Nitto's rock!! Extremely well made tires. I had Mud grapplers on my 08 super-duty. Loud as hell, but they lasted almost 80,000km. Never had one flat. Ran them until bald and one is still sitting out in my back 40 with air in it still after 4 years. My only gripe was they were pricey. But get what you pay for I guess???

Mrgreen

They are pricy 450$ each for 33s.
03-01-2014, 09:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014, 09:28 PM by scrudeman.)
(03-01-2014, 09:07 PM)HMFI Wrote: I get stuck no matter what tire I run.

Tires suck.

They also get cut when abusing them in rock gardens.

I have many tires. They cost me many dollars.

That being said,........I have a tire fetish. I just bought a new set of 36" Irocs for the LJ. Just need the time to mount them. (not in that kind of way you weirdo's)

Out of all the tires I've ran, including Boggers, Swampers, BFGs, Rockers, Trxus', Toyo's, and lots in between, the "street" tires for my LJ have surprised me the most. They have been all over Grande Cache with no bead locks, no chipping, no flats, and no problem.

If anyone can guess what they are, I have a prize for you.

I remember when you bought that LJ, but i cannot for the life of me remember what tires you had on it. Im going to guess they were toyo a/t's.
03-02-2014, 10:17 AM,
Loved my BFG KM / KM2's as well. The KM2's were siped and grooved, they were loud but they stuck to everything.

So car i'm enjoying my general tire grabber at2's. They are sooooo quiet on snow and ice. They have less grabbing / starting power
on ice, but infinity more control and stopping power.
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM,
Sheldon weren't you running your old work truck 10 ply 35x12.5R17 Hankook MTs on the LJ???? Smile

I "love mounting tires", you should have seen how sweaty I was after wrestling a 39" Irok onto a regular rim with just bars. Gross I know, sorry for the mental picture.... Wink
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
03-03-2014, 08:55 PM,
(03-03-2014, 09:45 AM)Mitch Wrote: Sheldon weren't you running your old work truck 10 ply 35x12.5R17 Hankook MTs on the LJ???? Smile

I "love mounting tires", you should have seen how sweaty I was after wrestling a 39" Irok onto a regular rim with just bars. Gross I know, sorry for the mental picture.... Wink

You are correct sir!!!!

I buy supper one night in Moab!!!!!!!

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
03-04-2014, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM by wmd.)
so ive been looking for 35's and am going to order from discount tire direct. There prices cant be touched up here. So from what others have told me im now looking at nitto tires on 17's. Has anyone else ran the trail grapplers or mud grapplers there more less the same price. Im kinda leaning towards the mud grapplers.
2015 rubicon 
03-04-2014, 08:20 PM,
(03-04-2014, 07:15 PM)wmd Wrote: so ive been looking for 35's and am going to order from discount tire direct. There prices cant be touched up here. So from what others have told me im now looking at nitto tires on 17's. Has anyone else ran the trail grapplers or mud grapplers there more less the same price. Im kinda leaning towards the mud grapplers.

The mud grapplers were one of my favourites. But be prepared for noise. They are as loud as some bias ply tires i have run. As i said before though, they are an extremely high quality tire.
03-04-2014, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 08:45 PM by wmd.)
ya I read there loud but they will last for ever because I don't drive my jeep at all.
2015 rubicon 
03-05-2014, 06:48 PM,
Watch the last few Ultimate adventures, almost everyone is on Trail Grapplers versus the Mud Grappler...
I really liked Trail Grapplers on my F250 and will be getting a set of 37s for the wife's JK when the budget allows Big Grin
The Mud Grappler does have scales on the side treads... Wink And they are Interco "Bogger" loud so crank up the tunes!
03-05-2014, 07:28 PM,
Ya will be ordering them and 5 rims next payday then need a new back bumper to hold the 35
2015 rubicon 
03-05-2014, 09:40 PM,
Quote:The Mud Grappler does have scales on the side treads...

The coolest thing about them........Big Grin
11-19-2016, 05:31 PM,
Tire talk revival!

I'm looking for tire that purrs like a kitten on the highway, prefer them to be round (sorry interco bais, your not), claws like chains on the ice/snow/mud, bullet proof side walls and light as a feather in a 37". The new rig has Goodyear MT/R about 50-60% left and are noisey... Big Grin
11-19-2016, 09:05 PM,
I just put studded Duratracs on my Power Wagon, they seem to be working real well in the snow/mud/ice that we've had the last few weeks. I don't think they have a bullet proof sidewall at all, but are probably lighter than a Toyo as they are only D load range. I would groove a set of 37" x 13.5" Toyo's for your new rig for sure.

Dmonkey