Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting a 99 WJ 5.3 swap
07-09-2014, 04:26 PM,
RE: Starting a 99 WJ 5.3 swap
(07-02-2014, 04:06 PM)BOLT ON YJ Wrote: Looks really good man!! ,best of luck with fitting the exhaust manifolds in there.I've spent many many of hours helping with a LS WJ swap and it's no easy task.you got balls even to think about doing it.Pirate

Thanks I've searched everywhere tried diffrent versions of manifolds an headers. Best fit I've found so far was the 98-02 SS Camaro set. I may have notch unibody I hope I don't. The drive side looks like the bends are almost same as the stock 4.0. So I dunno if I will have to notch yet. The passenger side looking eye ball and mesurement should fit without notching with the mounts I got
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 04:29 PM,
(07-02-2014, 06:48 PM)HMFI Wrote: Is that auto correct that changes "intake" to "intank"?
Those are coil springs not leaf springs.
Keep on posting though, looks like you are making good progress.

I apologize for spelling I don't use auto correct. Small iphone4s on screen buttons typing best I can. When I think what I want say sometimes my fingers type way diffrent lol. Thanks for correction on coil springs.
07-09-2014, 04:36 PM,
Sorry for delay in updates I've been stuck on hunny does lol. Family comes first. Then when girls go bed. I drag wire harness in. Omg Chevy tangled up a mess. Then Jesus on all the spider grounds. I've been making grounds and snipping the spider ground junctions out. I'm getting close to getting it ready for test fit on engine. So I can put the black coating on get engine with trans buttoned in on mounts. Remember tho I'm doing this no air tools and no garage. So will be slower then alot of other people. Thanks for the support
07-10-2014, 10:41 AM,
Hey guys, where's best place for the gm PCM in the WJ ? I was thinking maybe make bracket to bolt to the jeep PCM bracket. That way close enough to jeeps fuse box and fire wall to run my mil lights and my own obd2 port in cab.

I've got to order the tach elum box. I know it uses gm tach wire one side. What wire does the elum box uses on jeep side? So I can go ahead run it out. For when I order the elum box.

The c2 fuse gm box. I snipped and marked all the pins. There's brown wire goes to starter. Do I need that? Since I'm going to use the jeep starter wires on the gm starter.

The oxygen sensors. The two front ones only ones I really need hooked up right? For gas milage.
07-11-2014, 12:28 PM,
Yes just the front o2 are used for A/F .rears only to tell you the cat's gone bad...useless lol.not to sure about your starter but I'd think you don't need the gm brown wire .long as LS ecu knows the key is forward I'd think the jeeps ignition start wire would relay the starter
What you looking at me gut for!
07-11-2014, 12:35 PM,
Front o2 are for much more than mpg with out them your stuck in closed loop and your ecu will never get optimization for proper air fuel ratio. You would run rich and lose lots of power in other terms
07-11-2014, 11:35 PM,
My harness had 4 oxygen sensors. Wasn't 100% sure I needed back ones. Thanks for the clear up.

I got my harness cleaned up. (Rolled) all the hot wires marked them where they was at. So if I get lost I can retract my self. I wired my Chevy obd2 port just now. Left enough wire go threw firewall bolt under dash like Chevy did. I'm going to get wire harness on engine soon. So I can hook up relays for fuel,fans,what ever else. I bought two fuse boxes. Each box has 4 places. I bought for extra incase needed. I did solder every connection with heat shrink tape.

I'm thinking place gm PCM passenger side fire wall with jeep PCM sandwiched. Easier access to jeep wires,starter,fuse box.

I did make a mess up. Oh well. An easy noob mistake. I bought ls4 Intank manifold. Tried on looked good. Til I looked at vacuums. I took off to see a flat steam line. Waiting on my replacement steam line. I ended up buying a 99 SS Camaro Intank ls1 put on. Looks good. I got buy some injectors for it. I don't think truck injectors work? If not what injectors should I get? I'm not wanting race. Just dependable every day driver.

Here's picture of exhaust and manifolds I bought. Craigslist rocks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-12-2014, 08:10 PM,
You will need the 99 Ls1 injectors 28lbs stock ac Delco #12456154. There about 100 bucks a pop
07-12-2014, 09:47 PM,
(07-12-2014, 08:10 PM)BOLT ON YJ Wrote: You will need the 99 Ls1 injectors 28lbs stock ac Delco #12456154. There about 100 bucks a pop

Still learning on the injection stuff. Thank for help. Some guy on Facebook said use gm 0280155931. They are high on eBay.

I got the wj pin outs today. I was looking threw them see if anything I can use for short cuts. Nothing is marked b+ or b- sides like on gm pin outs. I wrote them back see if I can get them clear that part up. Maybe can use pin out on jeep PCM for gm PCM. Like fuel pump,temp, oil presure for clusters. I was thinkin as long as they read not able mod signal I can split wire for both pcm's. without having drill tap for jeep sensors to be added to gm engine for clusters
07-14-2014, 01:10 AM,
Tring get the people at wj jeep to give me the polarity on wires on 8w 80 82. Pin out chart. Not getting anywhere with them yet. I don't want try hooking up gm sensor pos sensor wire to jeeps neg sensor wire in pin outs.
07-17-2014, 12:14 PM,
Just wanted to give you a heads up on them injectors.the pig tails for your injectors on 5.3 harness will not plug in to Ls1 fuel injectors. Plus the pre 01 manifold that came on ls1 flows the worst of all lsx manifolds
07-17-2014, 12:22 PM,
If your wondering what the hell you should do for intake manifold buy trail blazer SS manifold. yes must be SS.best flow for cathedral port heads and will except your 5.3 injectors!!
07-17-2014, 03:59 PM,
(07-17-2014, 12:22 PM)BOLT ON YJ Wrote: If your wondering what the hell you should do for intake manifold buy trail blazer SS manifold. yes must be SS.best flow for cathedral port heads and will except your 5.3 injectors!!

Ok didnt know made a Ls trail blazer. Didnt know on the Intank. I was just looking get away from ugly truck Intank. Plus more hood clearance.

Just got the coil spring compressors on eBay today. So now I can pull old bolts out install new bolts in engine frame mounts.

Still tring to get a polarity on 99 WJ PCM wires. If anyone knows what wires are hot and ones are negative on wire harness to jeep please let me know. Like fuel pump, oil presure, temp sensor. Jeeps engine light. So I can pin gm PCM to them without frying anything
07-17-2014, 04:00 PM,
(07-17-2014, 12:22 PM)BOLT ON YJ Wrote: If your wondering what the hell you should do for intake manifold buy trail blazer SS manifold. yes must be SS.best flow for cathedral port heads and will except your 5.3 injectors!!

Does the SS trail blazer Intank use the h-pipe steam line under Intank? I'd like keep that steam line if I can
07-17-2014, 04:58 PM,
Yeah there's 5.3 trail blazer and ls2 6.0 in the SS.the 5.3 intake is same as what came on your 5.3 stock and the 6.0 intake is a high flow intake made for the corvette ls2 6.0 in the blazer so it works with the ls truck top end.
07-17-2014, 05:17 PM,
Yeah coolant lines should fit under .All ls have to have room under for knock sensors .I like the single line at the front from head to head with the back ports sealed (lq4) style
07-17-2014, 07:42 PM,
(07-17-2014, 05:17 PM)BOLT ON YJ Wrote: Yeah coolant lines should fit under .All ls have to have room under for knock sensors .I like the single line at the front from head to head with the back ports sealed (lq4) style

I thought about that. I mashed my cool lines with the ls4 Intank I had in. Like a noob I didn't know was for front wheel drive. To my knowlage. All I found was rwd or awd in trucks,SUV , and fbodys. I thank you for schooling me on what u do know. I'm new to this. I'm from old school when three hot wires a ground fuel line. A screw driver cross silanoid over it ran. This first time I've got my hands wet in injection.

I was told gm changed the h-pipe to cross over. To me, I mean I'm learning. But I'd think the coolent wasn't a flow with block offs. Be pumping hot water in just to get hotter to evap. That wouldn't cool the hot spots on heads. From what I've googled. Gm added h-pipe after finding coolent wasn't getting to corners in heads. Had hot spots , this was added to fix.

Some say u can run the fbody ls6 Intank but either have use block offs like u did or cut the plastic fins off Intank to clear Intank.
07-17-2014, 07:54 PM,
I'd love run the fast lsx Intank. I'm far from Ritch. I'm doing this swap on budget. From money I get extra after bills, and from working on atv's, street bikes. I'm after an every day drive. I don't have to worry about. The 99-04 WJ 4.0 head casting 0331 had cracking issues. No perm fix. Plus oil presure issues. I loved jeep still do. But when u gotta slow down or stop watch clusters every time. The 4.0 had go. After 2 casting 0331 heads in 2 years. Then done older casting head 0630. Did help but ended up with I believe a back cam bearing out. Back three push rods wouldn't pump one drop up. I put new lifters rockers push rods valves seats and seals. Ran better sounded better had more power then usual. But no oil. I could rebuilt prob got another year out of it. But rather put Chevy in better mpg, power, and something's that's never made me worry or walk
07-18-2014, 02:53 PM,
The fast lsx intakes are nice but I've seen quite a few posts about them leaking and fitment problems .your stock truck manifold is what I'd use .too tall cut the hood and get stick on hood scoop from crappy tire
07-18-2014, 05:03 PM,
Might have to til I buy injectors and now bolts. Like a D.A. Back driver side Intank 8mm bolt snapped even with head. Tring take Intank off replace the h-pipe. I'm going try get some magic puddy stuff turns colors when mixed see if I can jet just pinch on broke bolt see if I can turn it out.

Just didnt want use truck Intank. They just ugly an tall. I was looking for the corvette coil covers for clean install for ls1. Plus better hood clearance. I'm getting issues with ls1 Intank now tho. TB hitting water pump inlet. So gotta buy injectors, bolts, fbody water pump, water pump spacers. Its turning out be money racket. Lol