Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK Rubicon Electric Lockers
04-17-2015, 03:15 PM,
JK Rubicon Electric Lockers
So I'm having a problem with my rear locker. It won't disengage and the light just keeps blinking. I can cycle the front one on and off no problem. I checked the wiring and there's power all the way to the diff. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem before. It's a 2008 by the way.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2015, 09:56 AM,
RE: JK Rubicon Electric Lockers
Ok, so I had it at the dealership and they said that the relay and actuator are hooped. Unfortunately I guess these are both inside the diff so they claim that they will have to rebuild the diff and the bill will be around $5000. So I will look into some other opinions and maybe some aftermarket parts. Has anyone ever had to replace either of these?
04-19-2015, 11:16 PM,
Make sure to ask more than one dealer.

For services I've had done, they always vary in price. Diff / 4x4 service is $750 at Norlan $500 ish at gp chrysler.
Private mechanics ... $300. Shop around my friend.

Brand new aftermarket beefy complete axles can be had for around price ... but you probably already know that.
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM,
Yeah I've been talking to a few people and asking on a few jeep forums and it sounds like what they do at the dealerships is when a problem like this arises they just order and install a whole new diff so that the technician doing the work doesn't have to think or be competent and its just a simple swap instead of tearing into the diff replacing individual parts. So I think I will diagnose the problem again with a friend of mine and we will open the diff and replace whatever needs to be replaced, sounds like worst case scenario would be about $1000.00. I will post again once I know what the problem was and what the total cost was.
04-20-2015, 09:31 PM,
I have had issue's with my front locker not disengaging, and the light on the dash was not indicating that the locker was locked, when it was engaged. My issue was the axle indicator switch being siezed. What happened was when i used my locker the seized switch pulled the indicator ring out of the dog teeth and engaged the dog teeth on the teeth splined into the axle side gear inside the carrier. 

Now I could be wrong but I believe the electromagnet in the locker is a normally off magnet, so if you had an electrical problem with the magnet it should in theory be disengaged. Personally i think you have a mechanical problem internally with the locker, but with out opening up the differential and physically diagnosing the issue myself i could not say for sure. 

But if it helps this is the inside of the differential.

[Image: 360339.jpg]
04-21-2015, 09:18 AM,
This is good info Nightcrawler. When you tear it apart take some pics etc in one of the tech areas.

This is why we / I love the forums.
04-21-2015, 10:16 AM,
Yeah for sure, thank you.