Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone narrowed their axles?
04-25-2015, 10:38 AM,
Has anyone narrowed their axles?
I snapped my axle shaft the other day, and I'm running through billions of options on what to do for replacement and so far I've got a lot of options that I like.  But the one that is standing out in my head the most is going with some junkyard axles and a 4 link in the rear.  Now, the reason I ask about narrowing an axle is because I've got an old F350 (93-94 ish) that I can rob the axles out of.  But I don't want the track width to be that wide on my Jeep, so I would want to narrow them.  So that's why I'm wondering if anyone has done it.  Either on your own, or if you had a shop do it, how much did it cost?
3" BDS lift, TMR roll cage extension, Metalcloak side armour, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on 15x10 steelies, Bestop Trektop NX, US Alloy Chromoly rear axle shafts (stock LS), Poison Spyder BFH stubby with Warn 10,000 lb, Detroit Locker and RCV Shafts in front
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2015, 11:17 AM,
RE: Has anyone narrowed their axles?
a lot of tinkering and $$ to do that. Just rob an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. gear it and C clip eliminator kit ( if so inclined). Simple remedy for the D35 replacement and a tough differential. Go ahead and run 37's with it
95 Suzuki Sidekick, 4" lift on 32"s. Spooled Rear. Superwinch. Choose a road wisely!! Wide the road that leads to destruction and many will choose it. Narrow the road that leads to life, but few will find it. Math.7:13-14
04-25-2015, 11:19 AM,
(04-25-2015, 11:17 AM)OBWHON Wrote: a lot of tinkering and $$ to do that. Just rob an 8.8 out of a ford explorer. gear it and C clip eliminator kit ( if so inclined). Simple remedy for the D35 replacement and a tough differential. Go ahead and run 37's with it

you can also readily find one with a trac-loc in it, to boot Cool
95 Suzuki Sidekick, 4" lift on 32"s. Spooled Rear. Superwinch. Choose a road wisely!! Wide the road that leads to destruction and many will choose it. Narrow the road that leads to life, but few will find it. Math.7:13-14
04-25-2015, 04:09 PM,
I've never done it, but I've done a bunch of research and you need an alinement bar and a good welder (some skills aswell Big Grin ). Check out RCV site for prices on new shafts.

Ian on Xtreme makes it look easy. Smile
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
04-25-2015, 05:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2015, 05:30 PM by CLPeller.)
I thought the 8.8 was narrower than the TJ's D35
3" BDS lift, TMR roll cage extension, Metalcloak side armour, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on 15x10 steelies, Bestop Trektop NX, US Alloy Chromoly rear axle shafts (stock LS), Poison Spyder BFH stubby with Warn 10,000 lb, Detroit Locker and RCV Shafts in front
04-25-2015, 06:14 PM,
If you put that Stirling rear axle in your jeep, better get some bigger tires. That pumpkin is massive. I have one in my MJ. 40" tires or bigger. I was just talking about this with Duck454 as I picked up his 1tons, and your better off to order a bolt in rear D60 from the U.S.
By the time you get the junk yard ones to fit, swap axle shafts or rims to match the front etc, etc, it's probably about the same.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
04-25-2015, 06:24 PM,
All that being said, I have a D70 for sale that needs the ends cut off anyways. Still a big pumpkin, but not as big as a Stirling.
You can come check them out to compare size if you want

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.