Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beadlocks
09-15-2015, 04:37 PM,
Beadlocks
Quick question , beadlocks are they worth it to install on a jeep ? Pros and cons
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2015, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2015, 08:25 AM by Ramtuff.)
RE: Beadlocks
(09-15-2015, 04:37 PM)Viliann Wrote: Quick question , beadlocks are they worth it to install on a jeep ? Pros and cons

if you run tons of off road at low pressure they can be worth it. 

If your trail rig is your daily driver i would avoid weld on bead lock rings, getting a good seal on the bead can be difficult and they tend to leak a lot of air pressure. I've seen guys tires go flat overnight. They are tough to balance as well. Weld on rings are usually best for a second set of dedicated off road wheels and tires, like bias ply boggers or similar. 

Good DOT bead lock wheels are pricey.  I'm running a set of 17" Hutchinson Rock monsters on my TJ. I think they retail for $650 a wheel now? My jeep is far from a daily driver but i wanted to run one set of wheels and tires. I haven't run them a ton, but so far i like them. They are very robust, meaning well built heavy duty and just plain heavy. I can see a person having to re-gear just to turn the extra weight. I'm running 37's and 4.88 with a 4.0L and a 3spd auto. I haven't done any highway driving yet. My fingers are crossed. 

Swapping and storing an extra set of skins can be a pain. The rub is finding one tire that performs as well on road as off road. So if you plan on going this way, choose wisely. 

Basically it depends on your budget and how you want to use your rig.

"Do you have pics of your rocket powered, nitrogen cushioned forest sled? A conversation has arisen about it's prowess."

Johnny Towstrap
09-16-2015, 09:12 AM,
Good answer Ramtuff.
I wheel with both. Beadlocks are nice in the muddy trails at low pressure and a must for having fun in the snow.
I do a lot of wheeing with 17" rims and 35" load range D tires with no problems at 12 psi. I can go to 6 with my beadlocks for that extra large footprint in the soft stuff, it really helps.
My bias ply tires and aluminum beadlocks are rough on the road and it is a costly set up. The other set of aluminum rims and tires are smooth as can be, and like I said, they wheel good.
It really depends on your driving style and what where you plan on going. If you blow beads often, then there's your sign.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
09-16-2015, 11:29 AM,
I am looking at buying a tj that's built already to replace my yj that I would have to sink more money into than the tj is worth to just buy it with everything done already that I want to do to the yj. The reason I asked this question is the tj has hummer style dual beadlocks on it but the rims amn 16.5 so it limits the tire options
09-16-2015, 12:45 PM,
(09-16-2015, 11:29 AM)Viliann Wrote: I am looking at buying a tj that's built already to replace my yj that I would have to sink more money into than the tj is worth to just buy  it with everything done already that I want to do to the yj. The reason I asked this question is the tj has hummer style dual beadlocks on it  but the rims amn 16.5 so it limits the tire options

the hummer bead locks are more off road orientated due to the 16.5" rim. lots of great bias off road tires are available in 16.5". Not so great for on road.

"Do you have pics of your rocket powered, nitrogen cushioned forest sled? A conversation has arisen about it's prowess."

Johnny Towstrap
09-16-2015, 12:53 PM,
Yeah that's what I noticed online when I was looking around , I would like to be able to drive it to most of the places I will be wheeling it and every tire I found for that rim is either a hummer take off which it has on it already or straight up mud tire like the interco or pitbulls. My yj has brand new 35" baja claws on it and I like how they are on and off road .
09-16-2015, 12:56 PM,
(09-16-2015, 09:12 AM)Sheldon Wrote: Good answer Ramtuff.
I wheel with both. Beadlocks are nice in the muddy trails at low pressure and a must for having fun in the snow.
I do a lot of wheeing with 17" rims and 35" load range D tires with no problems at 12 psi. I can go to 6 with my beadlocks for that extra large footprint in the soft stuff, it really helps.
My bias ply tires and aluminum beadlocks are rough on the road and it is a costly set up. The other set of aluminum rims and tires are smooth as can be, and like I said, they wheel good.
It really depends on your driving style and what where you plan on going. If you blow beads often, then there's your sign.

Back in the day I ran 37" boggers on 15x8" alloy wheels on my 03 Rubicon. The boggers would burp air all day and if I didn't pay attention to the air pressure I'd be on my knees in the mud. lol

[Image: Maylong07044.jpg]

Johnny Towstrap
09-16-2015, 01:22 PM,
I guess it has the beadlocks May as well keep them and run a bias mud tire , I have a care trailer so it could trailer it if I went anywhere far lol , I guess I will research them some more I had thorn birds on a 98 dodge and I like them
I got this watch !
09-16-2015, 02:27 PM,
I agree! Big Grin If you have the budget for two sets of tires or just want to go to single digit tire pressures off road, bead lock are an added measure of security, which I decided to do with my TJ.

I wonder why AEV doesn't offer there DOT beadlocks anymore thou... http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/products/wheels?p=1

I had the tire shop use "rim sealant" when they installed the 35s on 15x8 steelies and they have been good so far on a loaded up JKU at 10-12 psi off-road... Big Grin
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
09-16-2015, 05:38 PM,
Probably best I just keep the beadlocks and get a straight up mud tire
I got this watch !
09-17-2015, 12:15 AM,
(09-16-2015, 08:25 AM)Ramtuff Wrote:
(09-15-2015, 04:37 PM)Viliann Wrote: Quick question , beadlocks are they worth it to install on a jeep ? Pros and cons

if you run tons of off road at low pressure they can be worth it. 

If your trail rig is your daily driver i would avoid weld on bead lock rings, getting a good seal on the bead can be difficult and they tend to leak a lot of air pressure. I've seen guys tires go flat overnight. They are tough to balance as well. Weld on rings are usually best for a second set of dedicated off road wheels and tires, like bias ply boggers or similar. 

Good DOT bead lock wheels are pricey.  I'm running a set of 17" Hutchinson Rock monsters on my TJ. I think they retail for $650 a wheel now? My jeep is far from a daily driver but i wanted to run one set of wheels and tires. I haven't run them a ton, but so far i like them. They are very robust, meaning well built heavy duty and just plain heavy. I can see a person having to re-gear just to turn the extra weight. I'm running 37's and 4.88 with a 4.0L and a 3spd auto. I haven't done any highway driving yet. My fingers are crossed. 

Swapping and storing an extra set of skins can be a pain. The rub is finding one tire that performs as well on road as off road. So if you plan on going this way, choose wisely. 

Basically it depends on your budget and how you want to use your rig.

Very well put, Ramtuff
Pirateflag 07 JKu rolling on 35's, '97 TJ, '83 CJ & a '49 Willys. 
09-17-2015, 03:43 PM,
The Hummer locks are great because they are double bead lock. I used to run them until I wrecked a tire and couldn't get a replacement. I still have a set that is missing one insert.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.