Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long or short??
04-07-2016, 08:42 PM,
Long or short??
Hi. Everyone!  Jason here. I'm looking forward to a summer of wheeling! It's time for some maintenance and upgrades. My old lift is getting tired and it's time to upgrade.  I'm looking for some pros and cons of long arm lifts as opposed To short arm lifts? My jeep is a 4 door jku. Let's hear some opinions. Thanks
 God hates a coward!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 09:56 AM,
RE: Long or short??
IMO Depends on your planned usage and budget Big Grin On my wife JKU, we don't really plan any real hard core stuff where maximum wheel travel is a must, tire size of 35" or max 37 with 3 to 4 inches of lift and kept our budget lower with stock length links. If you plan on high speed running, big lift or max articulation trails, the long arms will keep the link angles flatter which won't cause the "jacking" seen in short arms, like on a TJ with a 5-6" lift and will give a much better ride too Big Grin
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
04-08-2016, 05:01 PM,
I have a short are now. It has served me well. I'm running 35" tires with no plans to go bigger then 37". I am a moderate wheeler. Not big into the mud scene. More like the grande cashe scene.
 God hates a coward!!
04-08-2016, 05:12 PM,
If the money tree stops bye my house, I'd go with this; Big Grin

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7f...f416e72d1e

I know, I just finished saying "short arms are the greatest" but... Big Grin
Soccer Mom's-'12 Sliver Rubi Unlimited on 35 w/ 3" Zone, Bumper'n'winch and LEDs
Old trial rig-('06 Rubicon, long arm, 39.5" Iroks, RCV's front-alloy rears and a 6hp Warn 8274) -  sold to a good friend  Big Grin
New trail rig - '06 Taco Crew, bobbed, locked, on 37"
YouTube Winch Challenge Addict Loony
04-08-2016, 09:30 PM,
Yup that's nice !!
 God hates a coward!!
04-09-2016, 10:02 PM,
I always say long arms are the way to go. I am not happy with how short the front links on my buggy have mocked up so I quit building it until I can figure it out.
Long arms on my LJ made a huge difference, but I hear the JK arms are fairly long to begin with.
It would be tough to spend money on anything like this considering the economy though.
Don't get too carried away, I'm sure your Jeep wheels just fine.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
04-16-2016, 08:05 PM,
Negatives to long arms... Price and work to install. Many positives.

BUT... I ran 5" of lift with 40's and short arms and never had a problem. As long as your arms are adjustable, you'll be just fine.
If at first you don't succeed, Pick a better line!