Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home made tube fenders
09-04-2016, 01:48 PM,
home made tube fenders
I had an old tube roof rack from an old YJ i had. it was taking up way too much space beside my garage, so I decided to cut it up and haul to the dump.
After cutting it, all of a sudden tube fenders jumped out at me. (magically lol)
the bends were perfect!
My question is: Does anyone have any home made tube fender pics? or "blueprints" (bar napkin drawings accepted forms of blueprints)
Keeping with my "cheep jeep" build theme, Id like to keep my stock inner fenders. I've done some googling, but keeping in mind, my fab skills aren't the greatest, and will be using a 110 flux core welder, as I don't have 220 in my garage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2016, 02:49 PM,
RE: home made tube fenders
Well, I made some on my old cj7 from my imagination that worked good but I can't give you my imagination. I could share my imagination with you at the next wing night. Maybe over a bar napkin?
Time for an overland expedition!!
09-11-2016, 03:19 PM,
After some googling, and head scratching, I loaded up the grinder with a fresh cut off wheel and just started hacking away. 
After removing the outer fender bolts, I drilled out the spot welds and separated the rotten skin from the inner fender. no part of the outer was going to be saved anyways, so I used the cut off wheel quite a bit. (this was the fun part cause there was no rhyme nor reason to what I was doing, just stress relief lol) 

I am going to look around for something to skin them with, and can hopefully get them bolted on this upcoming week. 
They are 8.5" out from grille, so pretty stubby.
09-11-2016, 11:36 PM,
Nice!! Looks good man, about time someone gave that TJ some lovin.

I have some thin sheet metal and even some aluminum if you want to go that route. I can cut it for you no problem.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
09-12-2016, 04:14 PM,
(09-11-2016, 11:36 PM)Sheldon Wrote: Nice!! Looks good man, about time someone gave that TJ some lovin.

I have some thin sheet metal and even some aluminum if you want to go that route. I can cut it for you no problem.

Sweet!  how much you want for the sheet metal?
09-12-2016, 08:00 PM,
I dunno, it's a 4x8 sheet that I bought to sheet in my buggy, just bring some cardboard templates.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.