Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1946 willys cj2a
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM,
1946 willys cj2a
I've been meaning to start a build thread on here for a while but havent had a ton of time. I'm sure some of you have seen my jeep thread but here's the cliff notes. I started this jeep on april 1st 2007. i picked the jeep up in Llyodminster with the thought of building a quick and cheap jeep. it quickly become neither of those things. I started with a 1946 cj2a, I stripped the frame and boxed it in building all my own mounts and seting up a spring over useing yj springs. i picked up a minivan and pulled a 4.3L out of it and tore it down and resealed it and cleaned it up. i wanted to use a t18 so i picked up a scatter shield at a swap meet and had my room mate machine a spacer to make it all fit. i backed that up with a stock dana 20. i used d44;s out of a scout and converted the front to histeer by useing a mixture of chev and ford parts. in the end this cost a lot of scrilla but works well. i also ground the c's off and turned them to fix the scout 0 degree caster.

here's the start, very rough
[Image: 100_4287.jpg]

[Image: 100_4301.jpg]

[Image: 100_4359.jpg]

[Image: 100_4365.jpg]

[Image: 100_4400.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2009, 11:51 AM,
Re: 1946 willys cj2a
Subscribed - this is gonna be good Smile
PITBULL TIRES: http://pitbulltires.com/

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2009, 12:11 PM,
after i mated the tranny to the engine i set it in the frame only to pull it out a thousand more times to get it to fit right. finally it came together. so i painted the frame useing por15 black and set to start reassembling the suspension and axles.
i set my attention to replaceing the floor in the willys cause it was rotted out bad. i made a bunch of templates them bent the floor up and welded it in. i actully enjoyed this project but it too a long time.

then i sent the tub out to get sand blasted and this is where the brakes where slammed on the build. a buddy asked a guy he worked with to blast my tub and he said he'd do it for a bottle. it got loaded in a truck and disappered for probaly 3 months. finaly my buddy found it behind a quonset hut and we sent it else where. i got it back the next day.

while the body was gone i built the exhaust, i wanted it to run in the frame rails cause so i built a set of headers that dumped right beside the block, then i ran up to the floor and out the back.

the body was in rough shape. about what i expected. so i cut some skins out and wrapped the tub to help with the appearence. this took for ever. and i lost a little steam.

[Image: 102_4886.jpg]

[Image: 102_4866.jpg]

[Image: 102_4906.jpg]

[Image: 102_4912.jpg]

[Image: 102_5448.jpg]
05-18-2009, 12:21 PM,
with the body work finished ( i use that term loosely ) i painted the jeep in camo tan and set it back on the frame for keeps. being an electrician it didnt take me long to wire the the jeep up and the computer with some technical help from a buddy. i then worked night and day getting the fuel system dropped in and plumbed up. i went to work one evening with a buddy and thought we'd try to fire the jeep. it cranked over a few times and sprang to life. i was pumped. a few days later my daughter was born. and i started working the most overtime i have ever worked. The willys sat still for a bit more.

with things settleing down i wanted to work on the cage. A friend had a bunch of 1 3/4" DOM in his garage ( one stick had a mouse living in it ) and he had a bender so i went over with my cage drawn on a bar napkin and he helped my bend it up.

[Image: 100_5562.jpg]

[Image: 100_5561.jpg]

[Image: 100_5573.jpg]

[Image: 100_5900.jpg]

[Image: 100_6008.jpg]
05-18-2009, 12:32 PM,
really nice job. It's looking good. Mrgreen Mrgreen
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
05-18-2009, 12:34 PM,
i didnt get a chance to work on it much this last winter due to hosue renos takeing a huge chunk of time and money so when the snow started to melt i got back in the garage.

i got all the control and operateing systems plumbed and built. i used a hydroboost from a minvan, clutch master and slave from a cj7, rad from an mb, and a few other trick parts that i thought would be cool. flaming river u-joints and double d shaft helped me snake thew the tight space i have. i have the jeep ready to go soon. the brakes still need to be bled and the drive shafts need to be thrown it. the fenders and grill are in place. i still need to build the cage to frame mounts and rear shock mounts. i'll post pics of that stuff over the next couple weeks. i also have to clean up some wiring and build a skid plate and traction bar. i have zipped through two years ver fast. if you would like to see some thing or have any questions or advice i'd love to hear it. i made a few mistakes during this build but i think it came out good.

[Image: IMG_0858.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0859.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0861.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0862.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0886.jpg]
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM,
thanks guys. cheers
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM,
this thing is going to chew. resurrected vehicles rule
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM,
that's very nice, can't wait to see the end product
I'm french, and I never give up!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://WWW.JEEPSERIOUS.COM">http://WWW.JEEPSERIOUS.COM</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://WWW.BEASTFROMBACKEAST.COM">http://WWW.BEASTFROMBACKEAST.COM</a><!-- m -->
05-18-2009, 01:02 PM,
Awesome rig - I really hope you bring it to ACE this year so I can get a closer look Smile

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

05-18-2009, 02:17 PM,
     I'm working on him. Shouldn't be too hard to get him there.  :wink:
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM,
i think my arm could definatly be twisted. i'm gona talk to work this week and make sure i'm good.
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM,
Nice ride man!! Big Grin

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
05-20-2009, 01:17 AM,
Kevin,

It will be great to have you and Sue out on the trails again. Soon, I hope. Big Grin
I tried to childproof the house but they keep getting in.
05-23-2009, 10:19 PM,
I got the hood on her yesterday. it fits like crap. absolute poop. it's dented and buckled so bad it's shrunk and stretched in all the wrong places. i have another one i'm gona try to make work or i'll run this one till i drink enough beer to get enough money from the empties to buy a new one. today i fixed the ebrake so it actually works now and i started to draw out the cage to frame tie in and rear shock mounts. i also got a buddy to put a front shaft together for it. heres a snap of the hood on. i stood in just the right place so it looks ok.

[Image: IMG_0931.jpg]
05-24-2009, 12:33 AM,
SUCH a mean lil' machine, dang.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

05-24-2009, 02:05 AM,
Apu Wrote:i stood in just the right place so it looks ok.

[Image: IMG_0931.jpg]
it is a good angle - the hood looks great from here :P

but we trust you that it's crap :wink:

very nice build 8)
Colin Paulovich
TNT Orange
05-24-2009, 11:46 PM,
I've kept my eyes out man, but I haven't seen anything better than that piece of crap hood you have besides the other piece of crap hood I sent up to you (more like a former tobaggen Mrgreen ).

Regardless...she's a damm fine looking unit, finished or unfinshed. 8)
05-25-2009, 06:14 PM,
ya it dosent look so bad. it wont keep it from turnin a wheel.
05-25-2009, 08:37 PM,
All it is missing is a vintage (yet perfectly working) winch

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance