Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmission for SBC swap
01-26-2009, 12:23 PM,
Transmission for SBC swap
Thought i'd ask here as there seems to be a lot of people on this forum who know their shiite.

I've got an '06 LQ4 that I will be putting in my '03 TJ. Been getting mixed ideas from lots of people including Advance Adapters as to which tranny I should go with. Some are saying keep my NV3550, even though that motor is significantly over the max torque rating of the 3550 (motor is 370, transmission max is 300). This makes me nervous as I will probably end up flogging it pretty good. Price to convert this to work with the chev. motor is close to $1100 (bellhousing, clutch, etc)

Others have suggested the SM465 and I would probably go for this in a second but from what I've been able to determine it is too short and I will need a stupid amount of body lift plus an odd shifter configuration to get it to work. Price to get it to work is similar to the NV3550......plus it would probably need a rebuild.

The other obvious option is the 4L60E. Ideally I'd like to keep the manual tranny but I would also like to not have it break on me. These trannys seem to do just fine behind that motor and I can always get an aftermarket programmer and make it into a full manual shift if i desire. Price tag is a fair bit higher at about $1000 for the tranny and $500 or so for the adapter.

So, what say you...........I am leaning towards the 4L60E, but open to all comments and criticism.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM,
Re: Transmission for SBC swap
littletj Wrote:Thought i'd ask here as there seems to be a lot of people on this forum who know their shiite.

I've got an '06 LQ4 that I will be putting in my '03 TJ. Been getting mixed ideas from lots of people including Advance Adapters as to which tranny I should go with. Some are saying keep my NV3550, even though that motor is significantly over the max torque rating of the 3550 (motor is 370, transmission max is 300). This makes me nervous as I will probably end up flogging it pretty good. Price to convert this to work with the chev. motor is close to $1100 (bellhousing, clutch, etc)

Others have suggested the SM465 and I would probably go for this in a second but from what I've been able to determine it is too short and I will need a stupid amount of body lift plus an odd shifter configuration to get it to work. Price to get it to work is similar to the NV3550......plus it would probably need a rebuild.

The other obvious option is the 4L60E. Ideally I'd like to keep the manual tranny but I would also like to not have it break on me. These trannys seem to do just fine behind that motor and I can always get an aftermarket programmer and make it into a full manual shift if i desire. Price tag is a fair bit higher at about $1000 for the tranny and $500 or so for the adapter.

So, what say you...........I am leaning towards the 4L60E, but open to all comments and criticism.

I don't understand what you mean when you say the SM465 is too short. Short transmissions are always good in bobtail Jeeps - more rear shaft is good. A new set of driveshafts are a good idea anyways, especially with all that extra power.

The NV3550 is not up to the task. It will break. Guys break them behind the 4.0L all the time.

I would highly recommend the SM465. It is a small matter to do some sheet metal work around the top of the transmission to allow the trans to come up through the floor a bit. A torch and a few minutes of time will bend the shifter stalk around the bottom of the dash. I have done it - installed one behind a 5.7L in a YJ.
The SM465 is absolutely bulletproof. And you can rebuilt it with a press, feeler gauges, and a socket set. It is worth "making it work". You would benefit from a 1" body lift. You will need to build a custom x-member and skid. You will love the low first gear.

Custom work is very standard when performing an engine/transmission swap - if fabricating makes you nervous, you may want to reconsider doing this swap yourself.
PITBULL TIRES: http://pitbulltires.com/

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2009, 04:48 PM,
Corey, thx for the feedback. I have no problem doing a little bit of fabbing to make it work. I have never done any fab work before but i've got a welder and some time on my hands so I have no problem teaching myself. My primary concern was that it would require me to do some major work in order to get it to fit, which would make it a no-go in my books. I don't want to have to cut big pieces out of my dash.

I suppose I should just stop being a pussy and start hacking away. It's only metal right. Big Grin
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM,
That's the spirit.

The beautiful thing about metal is, it gets cut and welded everyday. Lol Lol

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
01-27-2009, 12:30 AM,
Depending on when you do it I may be able to help you a bit if you need some tube bent ect, although I'm a little ways off from getting the garage sorted out.
90 Blazer TBI 350/NV 4500/203/205 D60/14 Bt /Chromoly/Rockmonstrer Beadlocks/ 41.5" Rockers / Hydro-assist........
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM,
Thx Greg, I may take you up on that offer when the time comes.

At the very least I will likely need some pointers, or someone to drink beer, laugh at me and keep me from burning my Jeep to the ground. Big Grin

Off topic: but if you have any questions about our group (JOM) or just want to BS about wheeling give me a shout 791-9375.

Back on topic, I need to order a SM465-NP231 adapter. Novak has one that is a full output shaft replacement, while the Advance adapter is just a short spud shaft that goes between the transmission and t-case. Any suggestions as to which would be a better way to go?
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM,
littletj Wrote:Thx Greg, I may take you up on that offer when the time comes.

At the very least I will likely need some pointers, or someone to drink beer, laugh at me and keep me from burning my Jeep to the ground. Big Grin

Off topic: but if you have any questions about our group (JOM) or just want to BS about wheeling give me a shout 791-9375.

Back on topic, I need to order a SM465-NP231 adapter. Novak has one that is a full output shaft replacement, while the Advance adapter is just a short spud shaft that goes between the transmission and t-case. Any suggestions as to which would be a better way to go?

You know which one is better.

Of course it is the full shaft that is best. The spud shaft, while strong - adds a degree of complexity. SM465's are easy to rebuild.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

01-27-2009, 02:04 PM,
That is what I assumed. I just wanted some confirmation since i haven't done this before.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the clutch properly set up. The guy selling me the transmission is including the hydraulic bellhousing so that is a bonus. I will probably go with one of the kits from Advance as they have pretty much everything included and should let me keep my stock TJ master cyl.
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM,
littletj Wrote:That is what I assumed. I just wanted some confirmation since i haven't done this before.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the clutch properly set up. The guy selling me the transmission is including the hydraulic bellhousing so that is a bonus. I will probably go with one of the kits from Advance as they have pretty much everything included and should let me keep my stock TJ master cyl.

The TJ master will be fine. Advance sells a flexible clutch line I have used in the past, it works great. Use their (AA) recommendation for a slave cylinder.

AA is really good with the whole clutch thing.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

01-27-2009, 09:06 PM,
Another thought here, sm 465's can be found together with a 241 T case stock with passenger drop, late model 465's also have 32 spline output that go straight into a 1 ton 241 or 208. Last year of 465 I think was 91, late model 465's are all 32 spline outpu, much better no 10 spline coupler. A sm 465 can be rebuilt with a short output and a short adapter purchased, and of course the 241 has some slip yoke eliminator kits that make it quite short depending on whether you need your speed sensor or not. Also the nv4500 can also be found with drivers drop 241's and is the same overall length as the stock 465/241 setup. Depending on your setup drivshaft clearance can be an issue with some 465's and the external slave on drivers drop.
The NV4500 and 241 setup is nice but definately not as durable or reliable as the sm465. A cup of water in your nv4500 will completely screw it, fill your 465 with water and drain it when you get home. If I've said something wrong here, anybody can go ahead and correct me. Good luck . Corey would know what or whether any of this will work in a Jeep.
90 Blazer TBI 350/NV 4500/203/205 D60/14 Bt /Chromoly/Rockmonstrer Beadlocks/ 41.5" Rockers / Hydro-assist........
01-27-2009, 09:15 PM,
K5 Wrote:Another thought here, sm 465's can be found together with a 241 T case stock with passenger drop, late model 465's also have 32 spline output that go straight into a 1 ton 241 or 208. Last year of 465 I think was 91, late model 465's are all 32 spline outpu, much better no 10 spline coupler. A sm 465 can be rebuilt with a short output and a short adapter purchased, and of course the 241 has some slip yoke eliminator kits that make it quite short depending on whether you need your speed sensor or not. Also the nv4500 can also be found with drivers drop 241's and is the same overall length as the stock 465/241 setup. Depending on your setup drivshaft clearance can be an issue with some 465's and the external slave on drivers drop.
The NV4500 and 241 setup is nice but definately not as durable or reliable as the sm465. A cup of water in your nv4500 will completely screw it, fill your 465 with water and drain it when you get home. If I've said something wrong here, anybody can go ahead and correct me. Good luck . Corey would know what or whether any of this will work in a Jeep.

The 241 has the shortest SYE on the market as well. I installed that combo in a YJ a few years back. 5.7L to SM465 w/ stock 241 and JB Conversions ultra-short SYE.

That way no adapter is needed, gets a stronger case than the wimpy 231, and a shorter overall drivetrain. Perfect.

http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/produ...t_sye.html

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

01-27-2009, 11:03 PM,
Sounds good guys, only prob I see is that you're saying the SM465/241 combo only came stock with a passenger side drop, which makes it a no-go since my axle is drivers side. If it is available in a drivers side drop I will definitely look into it.......dammit now you got me thinking, this would save some cash for sure. The guy i'm getting it off said it's got a NP205 with it right now, which I know it is a pass. side output.

I thought about using the NV4500 but the price plus the overall better feedback on the 465 made me discount it...........those bastards are expensive, and I really don't need an overdrive gear as my jeep does not see a lot of highway use.

EDIT: just did some searching and apparently some early 90's Chev trucks did come with an SM465/NP241 drivers side drop. This has the potential to save me some cash and get me a better xfer case at the same time. Anyone know the exact years/models that these came out of? I may have to take a drive out to the wreckers.
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM,
Ya actually the sm 465 with the 32 spline output will be harder to find than a drivers drop 241, and AA sells the internal slave Bell housing for the sm 465 or a kit to convert external to internal to clear the driveshaft on the drivers drop. Most any 32 spline input with round bolt pattern t case will pretty much go on, 203, 205, 208, 241, etc. If you have to rebuild one and change the output shaft you might as well go the short route and change the adapter to match. Get the 205 too if he's going to throw it in, you could trade it or something, but if it has a figure 8 or race track style adapter between the tranny and t case you don't either. If it's a round adapter between that should be the one.
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM,
How scarce are trucks with the SM465/241 combo?

I wasn't aware that the 465 was an internal slave setup. I was under the impression that the kits from AA were an external slave configuration. The guy I spoke with even told me that the slave cyl was mounted on the passenger side and that was why I would need a longer fluid line to reach all the way over there.
01-28-2009, 09:48 AM,
littletj Wrote:How scarce are trucks with the SM465/241 combo?

I wasn't aware that the 465 was an internal slave setup. I was under the impression that the kits from AA were an external slave configuration. The guy I spoke with even told me that the slave cyl was mounted on the passenger side and that was why I would need a longer fluid line to reach all the way over there.

The passenger side set-up is custom (as in custom bellhousing). They actually came with driver's side external slave stock, in certain years.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

01-28-2009, 10:52 AM,
ah I see, the guy must have been talking about the conversion bellhousing I would need if I kept the NV3550.

So is there likely to be interference between the drivers side external slave and the driveshaft? I only ask because my jeep is set up this way stock and there are no clearance issues at all.
01-28-2009, 01:21 PM,
littletj Wrote:ah I see, the guy must have been talking about the conversion bellhousing I would need if I kept the NV3550.

So is there likely to be interference between the drivers side external slave and the driveshaft? I only ask because my jeep is set up this way stock and there are no clearance issues at all.

I don't see a problem, as long as you have over 3" of lift you should be fine.

AND they make custom driveshafts everyday at Pat's Driveline.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

01-28-2009, 01:44 PM,
Right on, I have 7"...........one less thing to worry about.

I think I will head out to the wreckers this weekend and see if they have a transmission/t-case combo that will work for my application. No idea how i'll get it pulled but at least i'll know if it exists..........maybe i'll have to buy the whole truck. From what I can tell, '88-91 silverado's/blazers/suburbans are the likely candidates.

On a positive note, my motor is all pulled and ready to be shipped.........should be here inside of a week.
01-28-2009, 05:45 PM,
If you dont' find what your looking for this weekend, you can come over and see my setup which is pasenger drop and had the 241 but now has 203\205 t case. 90 Blazer. If your at the wreckers, the Gov't had alot of these Blazers with sm465's and they were all light to medium Blue with dark Blue tops and big gov't winch bumpers.
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM,
K5 Wrote:If you dont' find what your looking for this weekend, you can come over and see my setup which is pasenger drop and had the 241 but now has 203\205 t case. 90 Blazer. If your at the wreckers, the Gov't had alot of these Blazers with sm465's and they were all light to medium Blue with dark Blue tops and big gov't winch bumpers.

Yes, Greg can help you in more ways than you think. He's no stranger to custom, put it that way Smile

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance