Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The best 4x4 shops in Grande Prairie
10-12-2007, 10:58 AM,
The best 4x4 shops in Grande Prairie
Guys,

Thought I would start a topic on here - which would detail your goood (and bad!) experiences at the local shops and businesses.

Let me begin:

1) Advantage Brake and Muffler.

Awesome service, very knowledgeable staff and decent pricing. They are the kings of lifts and especially alignments. Steve is very meticulous, and will get your lifted and locked rig driving straight. Never had, or heard, of a bad experience from here. We take all our custom Jeeps we build here for alignments and exhaust.

2) GP Carline Exhaust.

Cheap, fast, and in my opinion, the best exhaust work done in the Peace Country. Trent is a wizard at making exhaust fit around custom diffs, suspensions, skidplates, etc. He braizes everything, so the welding is top notch and looks awesome. Never had, or heard, of a bad experience from here.
PITBULL TIRES: http://pitbulltires.com/

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2007, 11:04 AM,

Duane the Muffler Man does good custom exhaust, decent price as well. Fast service, too.
Colin Paulovich
TNT Orange
10-12-2007, 12:00 PM,

I used to have Duane do all my exhaust work when he was at Minute Muffler, but now that I run fenderwell hedders & bottles I don't need much help in that area...
--Ken
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM,

MUFFLER MAN THE WAY.
91 Explorer. new upgrade- no axles!
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2007, 04:18 PM,

Duane did my rig and Myrons as well, hes always been good to deal with.

Kronic
...we have our first Jeep, fun to drive and the wife loves it!!!
10-12-2007, 07:52 PM,

Ok, thats great.

Here's how you post without saying anything:

"yeah - what he said".

Lets have some personal experiences please, we've done 3 shops, there are 50 others.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

10-12-2007, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM by villageidiot001.)

[size=150]highland park automotive( behind pricessauto) ive heard they have some good mechanics there . i do all my own work so dont have much more to say about that .
stuck ??? not stuck just momentarily delayed...
10-12-2007, 09:47 PM,

Truck Mart did a great job on my 04 Explorer tranny. Except they didn't put the rad back in right so it fell out and was ready to be ground to bits by the fan. But hey i suppose that could happen to anybody, right?

Oh and i highly recommend Kal Tire, they quoted me a measly 1300.00 for a brake job on my explorer. Just think, 400.00 for parts, and 450.00 per hour for 2 hours to do a brake job. I was thinking of changing careers and becoming a welder or brain surgeon, but now I'm thinking brakes is the way to go. Perfection was much better at 1100.00, thats only 350.00 per hour for labour, honestly i don't know how they can do it that cheap. Rolleyes
90 Blazer TBI 350/NV 4500/203/205 D60/14 Bt /Chromoly/Rockmonstrer Beadlocks/ 41.5" Rockers / Hydro-assist........
10-12-2007, 10:53 PM,

Greg, what's with the cheap shot on the welders? I'll remember that! Evil

Advantage is awesome. Muff Man bends pipe real good. But Northern Extreme is the better of all. - at least Corey makes ya think your having a good time while you're signing the cheque.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
10-13-2007, 12:40 AM,

Quote:Truck Mart did a great job on my 04 Explorer tranny. Except they didn't put the rad back in right so it fell out and was ready to be ground to bits by the fan. But hey i suppose that could happen to anybody, right?

Oh and i highly recommend Kal Tire, they quoted me a measly 1300.00 for a brake job on my explorer. Just think, 400.00 for parts, and 450.00 per hour for 2 hours to do a brake job. I was thinking of changing careers and becoming a welder or brain surgeon, but now I'm thinking brakes is the way to go. Perfection was much better at 1100.00, thats only 350.00 per hour for labour, honestly i don't know how they can do it that cheap.

Hahahahaha!

I'll agree - Truck Mart SUCKS - stay away, far away from that joint.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

10-13-2007, 12:41 AM,

TIRE PRO - best service and prices on automotive tires in the Peace Country.

However - I sell Interco cheaper!!!!!!!!

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

10-13-2007, 07:53 AM,

For engine building I won't go anywhere else but Precision Automotive and Machine. Scott knows what hes doing and does a awesome job. He built the engine that is in my truck right now, it runs great even after getting a little water in the crank case (opps). He has helped Mudfreak get the bugs out of his new one as well even though he didn't build it. Just wish he had a engine dyno!!!

Kronic
...we have our first Jeep, fun to drive and the wife loves it!!!
10-13-2007, 08:33 AM,

I used northern extreme , gp carline for exhust , tire pro , ken christan set up my axles and some other work. Heavy metal fabracations installed and welded up front lift, pat driveline for drive shafts. Some time after dealing with certain companys i walk a little bull legged but i got the end result i was looking for. That's the price of doing business in ab.
77 cj 7 (sold)
1991 yj
this that and what the
10-13-2007, 04:58 PM,

Sheldon @ Adanced Transmission is a great guy to deal with & he really knows his stuff. Norther Automatic was afraid to rebuild the tranny in my friends Monte Carlo, they just wanted to put in a reman. so he gave it to me real cheap. I talked to Sheldon @ Advanced, he knew excactly what was wrong & got me parts real cheap. but even for a paying customer he said it would not have been an expensive fix.

Muffler Man put 2.5" duals with Sweet Talker mufflers on my 78 ford 2wd, for just over $200. you cant's beat that!!

Also I've heard there's a really good mechanic at GP Chrysler. he's a freakin' wizard, but you can't afford him 8)
91 Explorer. new upgrade- no axles!
10-13-2007, 07:28 PM,
All West Glass...
1)All West Glass

I had to replace my windshield and Allwest put in the wrong size.
I didn't realise till way later, and I had sold the vehicle anyhow.

I thought it was relavent considering i need to replace my jeeps windshield here soon.

2) GP Chrysler

Despite the fact that the salesman ripped me off, and also stole $100 from me
(deposit that i will never see back) and embezzled about 30k from GP Chrysler,their service was great.

They let me take my jeep in LATE one day to get the stereo replaced. They also have killer free coffee.

3) Kal O Tire

Kal-o-tire was fairly good to me too, they fixed my tire for dirt cheap once and free the next time.

4) Northern Extreme

The bumper got installed in recordish time and looks really nice. They also treated us to a nice
comedy show (Corey and his help). Next upgrade comming soon I hope, and maybe we can get those foglites fixed.

** side note, I got a pretty interesting 4x4 dvd included with my purchase.
10-13-2007, 10:52 PM,

True - Allwest stinks.

They did the worst job I have ever seen on my YJ!

Made them fix it.

Bilstein Shocks

PSC Steering

Poly Performance

10-16-2007, 12:42 PM,

Sheldon, sorry for putting welders and brain surgeons in the same sentence. Lol
90 Blazer TBI 350/NV 4500/203/205 D60/14 Bt /Chromoly/Rockmonstrer Beadlocks/ 41.5" Rockers / Hydro-assist........
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM,

Ya Greg, that confused me. stop it.

Dmonkey

2003 WJ for groceries, 2005 LJ Rubicon for family wheeling, 2015 Power Wagon for making money, 1989 MJ for working on, 20xx Ultra 4 buggy for dreaming and leaning on.
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM,

CKS Mechanical - you probably haven't heard of him, he just opened shop this summer. I am biased as he is related but, he is very smart, willing to work on all sorts of suff, will look for a solution to a problem (not just change parts) I had him install the methanol injection on my diesel and it's great, if anyone wants to contact him PM me for his #, I might take awhile getting back as I'm not on here alot.

I have dealt with quite a few mechanics in the past (JD, Perfection, AcuTech,Certigard,NADP,NorLan,Windsor Ford)
JD seemed shady,
AcuTech I felt like I got taken for a ride with an alignment because the truck was lifted, which they knew ahead of time, Also Acutech couldn't diagnose an electrical problem with my truck, told me there was nothing wrong with it and billed me for the diagnosis, then it died on me again 2 days later they wouldn't help any with it
Certigard seems like parts changers,
NADP diagnosed the rattles in my chevy as a loose bumper when the brake caliper was falling off , Certigard had problems with the same rattle,
NorLan was pathetic (told me our truck wasn't under warranty because it was "borderline" overweight, I had the scale ticket to say it wasn't, then they pulled the tranny without my permission and tried to charge me for repairs I hadn't authorized),
Windsor Ford always helped me out, but the company I was with at the time had alot of pull with them.

Advantage I dealt with twice and have been happy both times.
'73 Scout 2, 6" lift, custom front bumper, work in very slow progress
10-17-2007, 09:54 AM,

Not impressed with Certiguard either. My previous job had a parts truck, seemed like every service/oil change was $1000 cause it needed brakes & shocks :?
Mostly a town driven vehicle that never had any problems with suspension - but lots of brakes and shocks Rolleyes
They also accused us of filling the washer fluid with engine coolant - because they had never seen the new GREEN windshield washer antifreeze Lol 1/2 full jug in the back seat Rolleyes
Colin Paulovich
TNT Orange