Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
99' Grand Cherokee Always Changing Build
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM,
RE: WJ 5.3L Chevy Engine Swap
Your going to need a map programmer for the engine management so it can be thrown onto a dyno and tuned wont you? I havent seen such an integration between marques thats why I ask. That is quite something tho good work.
hand built with love by ROBOTS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2010, 09:47 PM,
I'm running the GM computer and all the GM sensors, along with the Jeep computer with coolant temp & oil pressure gauge just for the gauges. I am tuning it though, I have HP Tuners and SCT Flash Advantage III for my laptop. Doesn't require the tuning really other then to turn of anti theft and extra powa!
Pirateflag
04-10-2010, 08:20 AM,
Wow thats great, it sounds complicated but a great mod. Theres nothing but good things to say about the 5.3 bravo on engine choice.
hand built with love by ROBOTS
04-11-2010, 12:02 PM,
It runs!

BUT I have a major trans leak between the transmission and transfer case. I'm pulling the case right now but have no idea what it could be. I know on the Jeep trans the rear output seal was sealed up by the input shaft of the t-case. On the 4L60E the reluctor ring is on the output shaft and there is no seal or no place for a seal on the rear of the trans.

Any ideas?
Pirateflag
04-11-2010, 02:23 PM,
(04-11-2010, 12:02 PM)DaveJeep Wrote: It runs!

BUT I have a major trans leak between the transmission and transfer case. I'm pulling the case right now but have no idea what it could be. I know on the Jeep trans the rear output seal was sealed up by the input shaft of the t-case. On the 4L60E the reluctor ring is on the output shaft and there is no seal or no place for a seal on the rear of the trans.

Any ideas?

DAVE JEEP:

Used to work at the GMC shop in FV. I'm pretty sure you will have to get a gasket for between the t-case and the transmission (cheap at the local GMC dealer), as this is what seals up the rear of the transmission. You might be able to make your own out of RTV, but when we pulled t-cases we always just put a new gasket in because they arent very pricey. The two wheel drives have an output shaft seal in the tail housing, but because this is a 4WD it will rely on the t-case to seal up the back end of the transmission. If you are running some sort of adapter to Jeep t-case you will have to make sure that its sealed up, or it will leak like a sieve.

I will talk to my GMC tech buddy today just to verify, but I am certain this is the issue. I tried to call him, but he isnt answeing. As soon as he calls me I will let you know.

Cheers
BEAT IT LIKE IT OWES YOU MONEY
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM,
Hi Dave:

Just got off of the phone with my GMC tech friend, there is no output shaft seals on the shaft for those transmissions. They rely entirely on the seal between transfer case adapter and the transmission to seal the back of the tranny. On the GMC system, there is a big o-ring on the transmission side of the transmission to t-case adapter. On the other side, it should be sealed with a gasket like I mentioned in the previous text box. If you are running some sort of Jeep t-case to GMC tranny adapter, you'll simply have to be certain that its sealed up everywhere.

Hope this helps

Good Luck
04-11-2010, 10:03 PM,
Thanks for the advice. I figured it out right after I made the last post though. No more leak!!!

I have the front end all back on and most stuff taken care of except for the air intake, trans & t-case shifters. The stock GM throttle cable was a perfect fit. Even clipped into the fire wall just like the Jeep one.

My driveshafts do have to be changed, rear is way too short, front too long
Pirateflag
04-15-2010, 02:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2010, 02:37 PM by DaveJeep.)
So it wasn't leaking again until today. Now it's leaking again, but now between the clocking ring & t-case where before it was between the clocking ring and transmission. I cleaned the poop out of it and used a gasket along with ultra copper rtv. I've read that I should try using Mopar ATF-RTV which is made for aluminum and transmission fluid. Also Permatex Anaerobic Sealant is what I used on the t-case halves and that has not leaked yet.

Any ideas?
Pirateflag
04-15-2010, 04:06 PM,
If your using an RTV/silicon type gasket maker, there is a product my dad swears by. It's actually called "THE RIGHT STUFF", in a gray tube, Greggs probably has it.
I have too many projects
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM,
I've heard that was good stuff.
Pirateflag
04-15-2010, 04:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2010, 04:46 PM by scrudeman.)
(04-15-2010, 04:26 PM)DaveJeep Wrote: I've heard that was good stuff.

My Boss never liked it when I used anaerobic sealer (sp??), but I always used it when I rebuilt GMC t-cases. Never had one come back leaking. Maybe that would work better than RTV on your adapter in this scenario???? Cant say for sure as I havent seen your specific scenario, but it might be worth a try??

MY 0.01
04-15-2010, 09:27 PM,
We use the right stuff all the time in the shop for sealing up the oil pan gaskets where the rear cover and gasket and front cover gasket touch the oil pan gasket to make sure it seals you can actually pick it up at a NAPA store is where we get it.
Daily Driver 1990 Chevrolet Full Size Blazer on 33' Baja Claws.
Trail rig '84 GMC Jimmy 350 TBI, SM465, NP205, Corperate 10 bolt 30 spline axles, Strange Spool in the back (and soon front), 6' Lift, Sitting on 38.5 Ground Hawgs.
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM,
Well I resealed the T-case to transmission. Seems to be holding with the Mopar ATF-RTV so far. Built a transfer case cable bracket, cleaned up some wiring, mounted the coolant bottle and GM PCM, finished the coolant lines, etc. Did a bunch of other small things. Waiting on a bracket for my transmission shifting cable.

I do have a trouble code that I need to figure out. P0342 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage. One guy on LS1tech told me my cam bolts are loose but I highly doubt it. Said it was a big issue in the Vette motors.

I have not checked to see if there's voltage at the CMP sensor yet though.

Sorry no pics yet.
Pirateflag
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM,
Got all my little issues figured out and now the jeep is at the mufler man getting a y-pipe built. Gonna be driving it by tonight!

I really gotta get some more pics.
Pirateflag
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM,
Gauges and everything fully functional? Looking forward to seeing some finished pics and maybe video.Monkeydance-1 At least you'll get some use out of it which is more than Layne did.Redface
2008 JKU, 3.5" lift, LT37x12.50x17 ProComp Xtreme MT, 17" ProComp 5129 wheels, Core 44 front 4.88 ARB, rear 4.88 Detroit, Smitty XRC bumpers, Smitty 8K X20 winch
Bobbed Scrambler buggy, LM7/4L60E/NP241, Mog9s, 42" Rockers on Allied beadlocks, 16" Radflos, 116" WB
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM,
Just got it back from the muffler man. Kept the same magnaflow muffler and exhaust back. Damn it is way quieter than the 4.0! Too quite lol

Gauges all work minus the tach. With my tuning software I can change the tach output though so when I feel like working on it again I will wire that up and play around to see if I can get the tach running.

Pics and vids to come
Pirateflag
04-28-2010, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM by DaveJeep.)
Long overdue update. The tach signal I was trying to use won't work on the Jeep so it doesn't look like there is any other way to make the stock tach work.

Now a bunch of pics.

[Image: IMG_3653.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3654.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3655.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3656.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3657.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3660.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3659.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3665.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3666.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3662.jpg]
Drag link & track bar need to be redo (ride height pic) I can get another inch of clearance if I get a LS1 oil pan. Don't think it's going to be enough though.
[Image: IMG_3651.jpg]
Pirateflag
06-02-2010, 09:54 AM,
Sorry for the lack of updates!

So to fix my oil pan clearance issue I got a 3" XJ drop pitman arm from Rusty's Offroad. Moved my track bar frame bracket forward and down. Plated the frame with 3/16" around the new track bar mount and built the mount itself from 1/4" and welded it to the 3/16". No more clearance problem, tierod and track bar is almost flat with the ground, Jeep drives great!

Fuel mileage is crazy now compared to the I6! I have not worked it out yet but it kills the 4.0's mileage. Mostly under 1500 RPM around town. Lots of power for hills on the highway.

I was able to modify my stock shifter to work with all the 4l60E gears. The gating is all plastic in my shifter instead of metal so it was a pain but it works great now.
Pirateflag
06-29-2010, 03:29 PM,
What luck I have! The 5.3 spun a bearing or something really bad. Knock coming from the bottom end. Have a 6.0l here now with 50,000km on it sitting on the floor.
Pirateflag
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM,
RE: WJ 5.3L (now 6.0) Chevy Engine Swap
Awsomeness.!
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
Eleanor "Roosevelt"
RR
`______
/l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user